Building Information Modelling (BIM) is set to revolutionise the way the construction industry produces and communicates construction information. At Rossi Long Consulting we have recognised the significant benefits that BIM can offer and we have developed experience in the use of BIM applied to Civil and Structural Engineering projects.
We have been using 3D drafting techniques for around 10 years that were enhanced in 2008 following the addition of the class-leading multidisciplinary BIM drafting software for the building construction industry. The production of 3D structural drafting models has now become common on most of our medium and large-scale projects together with more complex smaller schemes. These are often produced irrespective of whether a complementary architectural or building services models are being prepared due to the benefits a 3D structural building model provide over traditional 2D drafting methods, which include:
- Enhanced communication of the structure with clients, design teams and contractors through 3D visualisations including consideration of the construction sequencing, co-ordination and phasing. This includes issue of electronic model files viewable using free software
- Streamlined structural design process through production of a single 3D model for both drafting and structural analysis purposes.
- Highlighting potential construction difficulties through building a virtual structure.
- Production of material take-off schedules and cut/fill computations to assist with project costing.
- Efficient drawing production with enhanced presentation.
In recent years the development and availability within the construction industry of multidisciplinary 3D drafting software has enabled collaboration between designers through sharing building models. The introduction of the Industry Foundation Class (IFC) file format now permits 3D models produced using different software to be shared and viewed using a common platform. At Rossi Long Consulting we have worked successfully on numerous projects where collaborative building models have been produced in conjunction with architects and also services engineers up to BIM Level 2.
If you have any queries regarding Building Information Modelling please contact us and we would be happy to discuss in more detail.