- FW Properties
Rossi Long Consulting were acknowledged as winners of the 2015 Regional Award for Structural Excellence by the Institution of Structural Engineers for their work on the redevelopment of Westlegate Tower and surrounding area.
This 12 storey landmark former office building is located at the heart of Norwich city centre and had been vacant for a number of years prior to it’s purchase redevelopment in 2011. Planning consent was obtained in July 2012 to convert and extend the existing building and to develop the former Timberhill car park site to 17 luxury residential apartments, 2 town houses, 3 commercial units, and 20 car parking spaces.
The first phase of the construction works comprised the conversion of the main Westlegate Tower, which included the addition of three storeys on top of the existing building. This required extensive investigation and rigorous analysis of the existing structure to ensure there was sufficient residual capacity. These works also included demolition of the rear extension and construction of new steel and timber framed apartments over triple stacking car parking.
The remainder of the development includes the new Timberhill building and the public realm proposals linking Timberhill to Westlegate.
The completed Westlegate Tower comprises the following accommodation:
- A two level penthouse apartment of 1,950 sq ft on 2 new floors at levels 12 and 13 including a top level roof terrace.
- Individual apartments of 1,560 sq ft on each of the tower floors from levels 3 to 11
- Three apartments on the second floor together with a new courtyard house of 1,700 sq ft
- A shop/ restaurant unit on ground and first floors totalling 7,500 sq ft fronting on to Westlegate
The development on the Timberhill site comprises the following new accommodation:
- Three apartments on the first and second floors of the Timberhill building
- Two townhouses of 1,100 sq ft and 1,200 sq ft
- A new shop unit fronting on to Timberhill of 1,600 sq ft
In addition, the scheme includes 2,000 sq ft of commercial accommodation within the Listed building of 20 Westlegate.