- £Up to £5M
We have a significant portfolio of conservation projects and developments on historic sites. Through this we have developed an appreciation of engineering practices on historic and listed buildings which are sympathetic to the historic fabric. Examples include:
St Georges Chapel, Great Yarmouth
We were appointed as Structural Engineers for the £6M refurbishment & redevelopment of the Grade 1 Listed chapel as part of the regeneration of the King Street area. The chapel was built in 1714 based upon St Clement Danes, London & was opened as a theatre in 1979. However, the chapel suffered a lack of maintenance over the years & is now in need of careful restoration. The refurbishment scheme will provide a flexible arts venue seating up to 250 with associated facilities. A further contemporary pavillion building has been provided by others.
Blickling Hall, Aylsham
This prestigious stately home was built in 1616 on the ruins of the former property owned by the family of Anne Boleyn. The Architect of Hatfield House, Robert Lyminge is credited with the design of the current building. We have been employed on a term commission with the National Trust undertaking various repairs & remedial work including recent refurbishment & strengthening of the clock tower.
The Great Hospital, Norwich
The Great Hospital is an Almshouse close to the Cathedral founded in 1249 by Bishop Walter de Suffield. The site provides sheltered housing, housing with care & residential care for the elderly & contains the smallest monastic cloister in England, a fine medieval Refectory & an 18th century swan pit. We have been employed over a 15 year period undertaking refurbishment & extension works to Young’s Green, Suffield Court, Holme Cottages, Birkbeck Hall & White Cottages and are currently part of a £4M redevelopment to provide additional accommodation and a visitor centre.
Doughty’s Hospital, Norwich
Doughty’s Hospital is a city centre courtyard Almshouse built in 1700 & extensively refurbished in 1996 undertaking structural repairs & strengthening works to provide enhanced accommodation for 56 one bedroom self contained units. We were appointed for the refurbishment of Doughty’s Hospital & have been involved with other Norwich Consolidated Charities owned properties over the last 12 years including the redevelopment of Calvert Street, & currently the refurbishment of Cooke’s Court.
The Guildhall, Norwich
We were appointed as structural engineers to investigate damage to the clock tower on this impressive Grade 1 Listed building in the city centre. The Guildhall was built in 1407 to house the early courts, prisoners & tax collection facilities. The current building is located over the earlier “toll house” crypt which was built in 1290 & used for the collection of market tolls. It is still used by the Magistrate’s Court to this day. The clock turret, in a florid French style, was a gift of the Mayor Henry Woodcock in 1850 & was added to the eastern gable directly over what was thought to be the entrance stair to the old toll house vault.