12.09.13
Westlegate Tower Extension – Crown structure completed

Our ongoing involvement with the regeneration of Westlegate Tower, including the neighbouring Grade 2 listed property, rear extension and Timberhill frontage marked a significant milestone this month when two storeys of steel frame was added to the roof of the existing tower.

 

The existing building is undergoing conversion from derelict office units to high specification residential apartments which includes addition of balconies, re-cladding and new entrance lobby accessed from Timberhill.  The tower was originally constructed in 1959-1961 and is one of the earliest examples of a moment-connection steel framed towers in the region, with no bracing to hinder views of the city. 

 

The steel was erected using a temporary crane requiring weekend road closures over the course of several weeks and was a logistical challenge due to the city centre location and tight site constraints.